Friday, October 2, 2020

Summertime sadness


Hey, do you want to go on a bike ride?

Five minutes later we're on the trails. Kicking up dust. Bella always enjoys a change of scenery. And so do I.

This summer was all about local adventures and quick getaways. Bike rides were an everyday occurrence for us, and it was usually reserved for daddy-daughter time.

Ah, yes. Just the two of us.

We had a lot of fun going from place to place, trail to trail, pond to pond. We kept things moving. We were constantly changing our surroundings (since there wasn't much to do anyway), and it kept us both entertained.

Oh, we had a blast!


It was my time to bond with my daughter, and Mom got a chance to do some things on her own. After all, Mom is constantly with Arabella while Dad is working. 


I love my one-on-one time with this girl. 

We would be out for hours. Searching for turtles. Marvelling at the colourful sunsets. Watching the trees bend and shake in the wind. Throwing rocks into streams. Feeling alive and energized by nature. 

Just breathing it in.

Those moments meant everything to me during a summer that was quite challenging in so many ways.

This wasn't the kind of summer anyone had expected. I felt frustrated, disconnected, anxious, uncertain and emotionally worn out. 

I felt stuck and completely out of sorts.

This pandemic has taken a huge toll on my mental health.

I spent a lot of time reflecting on my outlook and attitude. Why do I focus my energy on things that are out of my control? Why do I pay so much attention to the things that I lack?

When I noticed the things I was missing it only reinforced and perpetuated negative feelings. Suddenly I found myself caught in a downward spiral, and it become more and more difficult to get out. I was drowning in negative thoughts.

So what's the cure for summertime sadness?


Gratitude. Thankfulness. Counting one's blessings as they unfold each day. Rejecting negativity. By doing that you actively change your perception of reality.

So that's what I'm working on. Being grateful.

I did a little digging on the subject. Turns out that gratitude is a natural anti-depressant. You see, when you practice gratitude you activate the "feel good" neurotransmitter dopamine - and those chemical powers reward the reinforcement of patterns. Therefore, the repetition of thankfulness brings on more of the same good emotion. 

That's how you can change your reality. That's how you change your perspective. 

Gratitude is a state of mind, an insistence on a certain perspective that affirms the good things in life while rejecting the bad ones.

Currently two members of our extended family are battling cancer. They're fighting the biggest fight of their lives. How do they cope? What gives them the strength to face each day?

And what am I complaining about, anyway? 

"Wake up!" I tell myself. "Wake up!"

Look up at the trees, the sky, the sun. Look what a blessing this day is. 

It's very difficult to attract more good in your life if you are busy meditating on what you don't have.

Count your blessings daily.

I have my eyes to see, my lungs to breathe. Every organ in my body is working, pumping blood to my heart and brain. I'm grateful for my books to read, my skills and talents, the roof over my head, my wonderful family, friends, my wife, daughter, and every human that has ever loved me and whom I ever loved. 

That's what it takes. And suddenly, things don't seem so troublesome anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment