Sunday, August 13, 2017

Homecoming


"So long hospital!" said Arabella. 

Finally, the wait is over. It's D-day. Discharge day. 

Leaving the hospital felt so surreal. "Are we actually doing this?" Kiera and I said to each other. 

We were unbelievably worn out. Tired or not, we had to endure. There was no time to whine or complain. It was the last push to get us home. 

We finished packing up our things (which seemed to take forever), filled up the car, and quietly slipped out at 2:30pm on Saturday. 



"Okay dad, let's get a move on it. We have places to go, and people to see."



Dad walking out of the room with Bella in one hand, a portable oxygen tank strapped over one shoulder, and a cardiac monitor strapped over the other. 

This is how we roll now 😉



One last picture in the SickKids atrium before we step outside. Those are all very tired but extremely happy faces.



Arabella was wide-eyed the entire time in the car. 

"How is she liking it back there?" asked dad. 

"She seems really intrigued whenever we go over a bump in the road," said Kiera from the backseat. 

It was Bella's first car ride! 



...and her first traffic jam 😄 

"Of course the Don Valley Parkway is always backed-up. And on a Saturday, too! We can never get anywhere in this city!" groaned dad. 

Dad drove in the slow lane the entire time, and within 40 minutes we were pulling into our driveway. 

"Welcome home Arabella!" we said, "This is your new home now! What do you think?" 

Belle was definitely interested, and she would not stop looking around. 



We were late with Arabella's 3pm feed, so we gave her the bottle as soon as we arrived.



Coming through the front door wasn't as emotional as we thought it would be. It just felt right, and I suppose that's a good thing. I think we were too tired for tears, anyway 😊

"So this is how it feels!" we thought. 

It felt so amazing to be home. Home with Belle. Home for good. We were almost in disbelief.



"Finally, no more of that dry hospital air!" exclaimed Belle. 

The house was disorganized within minutes of us walking inside 😄. Kiera and I were searching through bags and bins looking for all sorts of items. "Let's just find what we need first, and deal with the organizing later," we decided. 

No one likes a cluttered mess, but some things need to be placed on hold every now and then. 

And it was definitely worth it. 



I've been waiting to do this for a long time. Just recline in the sofa with Belle in my arms.



Truly, there's no place like home 💗

Arabella had a great first night here. She slept very soundly, as dad continued to organize the main floor throughout the early morning hours.


Kiera and I are still working shifts like we were in the hospital. Belle needs to be fed at 3am, supplements need to be given at 5am, then another feed at 6am, etc., so someone always has to be up. Eventually things will get easier for us, and we'll start to figure out a plan for us both get more rest during the night.

For now, this is what we're used to. This is what makes sense for us. We're set in our ways, I guess, but it won't be like this for too long (I hope). Each day at home will get easier for all of us. Belle will start to really flourish at home, too. She'll grow like a weed. 

Belle woke up on Sunday morning with the sun gleaming into the room. There was a beautiful warm glow around her, and I imagined that it was God's way of saying, "Welcome home Bella. Welcome home."

8 comments:

  1. Yeah Arabella!!!!!!!! I am so excited to read this! (WTE May mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another WTE May mom, and I've been following along and praying for your family since Keira first posted the link back in February. Congratulations on your homecoming! What a little miracle Arabella is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jillian, thank you for your thoughts and prayers, and for following Arabella for so long! I'm touched. We're very thankful for people like you. God bless you and your family!

      Delete
    2. Oh, just realized I spelled Kiera's name wrong. Sorry about that! Too many late night feedings! :)

      Delete
    3. Haha didn't even notice! Oh man, those late nights. Tell me about it!

      Delete
  3. I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am for Arabella's homecoming and how much you have inspired me in my own journey with my premature baby. He was born at 31 weeks in May. I know that is nothing compared to what you have gone through. You have endured so much and yet, remained so unbelievably positive. I've looked forward to reading your posts at 3am (MT) every day. You have given me so much strength. You've made me feel understood. I could relate to most of your thoughts and feelings. I want to give you all the biggest hug. THANK YOU for this blog. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful comment. I'm humbled beyond belief that this blog has given you so much strength. Your little guy sounds like a true fighter, and I'm sure you went through your own share of ups and downs. 31 weeks isn't an easy ride, by any means. That takes a lot of strength!
      Even though it might seem like Kiera and I have gone through a lot, there was always another family out there that was going through more. When we saw what other families were dealing with at SickKids, it always altered our perspective. Sounds like the same thing happened to you through our story. I think we all just need reminders in our lives.
      Thank you so much again. Sending you the biggest hugs from Toronto, and lots of love to your little dude! Preemie power! =)

      Delete