Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Belle Update: May 1


Arabella had a few apnea spells last night. That's a condition where a preemie stops breathing for 15 to 20 seconds (usually during sleep). We've noticed slight dips in her heart rate since she's been on CPAP as well. 

These are just some of the challenges we face since Belle's no longer ventilated. We've been through these spells and dips before, in her first month of life. 

Apnea spells and bradycardia (slowing of the heart) are common in preemies, but they're always a little frightening for parents. They bring up our stress levels just a notch higher, so we feel like we're always on our toes. 

Overnight Belle was agitated, fussy, and she refused to settle down (we were told this morning). The night nurse had to give Belle a dose of morphine so that she would finally relax.

She's dependent on morphine, unfortunately. She's received a steady amount since her fractures were first uncovered, and recently she received more for her pain relief following surgery. The staff are slowly trying to wean her off but it's proving to be difficult. Arabella seems to notice every decrease in dosage, so the nurses must to do it very very slowly. 

This could be another reason for her fussy attitude lately. She needs her feel-good stuff!

"Drugs, drugs, drugs. Which are good, which are bad? Ask your mom or ask your dad." (Remeber that PSA commercial from the 90's?)

It can be very frustrating in the NICU some days. Everyday there's new information to absorb and come to terms with. Today Kiera and I found ourselves experiencing a lot of mood swings. The good thing is that we recognized them right away, and we let each other know what's bothering us. We cope by sharing and talking about all of our frustrations. It's the only way to survive. Here in the NICU and outside these walls.

Despite everything going on, Arabella continues pushing forward. She now weighs 1460g (3.2 lbs). 

We shared a lot of great moments today, like this one:



We were tired and exhausted, but we still had a hard time leaving the hospital at the end of the night. We were there a little too long today, but that's alright. It feels like Arabella needs us more now, to calm and soothe her. I hope she can feel us around her 💙


2 comments:

  1. I have been reading Bella's blog since the very beginning. You don't know me. I am a mother from the app What to expect where your wife use to be. I realized today that your little was due the same day as my little girl. She inspires me alot and I hope my little girl gets to be as strong as yours.

    Your family has been in my thoughts every day and wishing you the best. I cannot wait the day I'll read the post where you guys will bring Bella home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so touched and humbled that you've been following Bella since the start. Thank you for your thoughts and wishes. My wife and I will pray that you have a safe and happy delivery, it's coming up fast! All the best to you and your little girl xxxx

      Delete